BODY SPACE FITNESS AND OWNER KELVIN GARY
Located on West 14th st. in Manhattan is Body Space Fitness, a mini-training camp for the urban athlete. The gym is laid out like a football field with 65 ft. of astro turf, and filled with NFL style training equipment and other sports conditioning apparatus. Weight sleds, power ropes, TRX suspension trainers, agility ladders, kettle bells and more are all used as part of the functional training that is at the core of owner and coach, Kelvin Gary’s fitness philosophy. Functional training is designed to simulate everyday movements performed at home, work or sports with multi-muscle, full body exercises that build strength, speed, endurance, flexibility, and help prevent injury. Says Kelvin, “I believe in training the body to work and workout the way it was designed. Resistance training should be performed with as much lower and upper body integration as possible.”
With June just a couple of weeks away, we asked Kelvin to design a quick “Body Baring Workout” to get you ready for the hot months of short shorts, swimsuits, little dresses and tank tops to come. It’s a 3-part workout, 15 moves in total, broken down into phases of 5 moves each. We debuted phase 1 four weeks ago, followed by phase 2, and now have phase 3 for you below, which introduces a band into the workout. Each phase should be performed once a week for a 3 x per week workout, 2-3 sets of each exercise, 10-12 reps of each, performed circuit style or consecutively.
For optimum results, Kelvin recommends combining these moves with cardio, which can be done in 1 short 15 minute interval training session or 30 minutes of continuous movement. For those of you opting for intervals, start with a 2 minute warm-up, followed by 1 minute on, 1 minute off. This can be walk-run, run-sprint, flat-hill or other variations of your preferred cardio.
Have fun, sweat it out, and we’ll see you on the beach!
DAY 1: CORE-BACK-LEGS
CLOCKWISE TOP LEFT: SUPER PLANK; SIDE PLANK LEG LIFT; KNEE GRAB SIT-UPS; JUMP SQUATS; PLANE LUNGE SERIES-BACK; PLANE LUNGE SERIES-SIDE
1. SUPER PLANK (Abs and Arms). Start in a plank position on your elbows with your feet hip width apart. Come up onto your hands from your elbows. Pause for 2-3 seconds before returning back to your elbow and repeat.
2. SIDE PLANK WITH LEG LIFT (Abs and Obliques). Start in a side plank position from your right elbow. Lift your left leg 4-5 inches before returning to the starting position. Repeat and switch sides. Be sure to keep your hips as high off the ground as possible.
3. KNEE GRAB SIT-UPS (Abs). Start by lying flat on your back with your legs straight and flat on the ground. Simultaneously sit up by bringing your knees and torso off of the ground. Wrap both arms around your knees at the top of the sit-up and pause for 2 seconds. Release your knees and return your legs and torso to the ground.
4. 3 PLANE LUNGE SERIES (Quads, Glutes, Hamstrings, Inner thigh). Start with your feet together and step forward with your right foot into a lunge. Push off your right foot and return back to your starting position. Pause for 1-2 seconds and side lunge to your right. Pause for 1-2 seconds and step back into a lunge. Return to the starting position and repeat. Switch sides. Be sure to keep knee at 90 degree angle.
5. JUMP SQUATS (Quads, Glutes). Start with your feet shoulder width apart and descend into a squat position. Jump, while reaching your arms overhead. Land and descend back into a squat. Pause for 2 seconds before repeating.
DAY 2: CORE-ARMS-SHOULDER-LEGS
CLOCKWISE TOP LEFT: CURTSY LUNGE; WITH DUMBELL PRESS; V SIT-UPS; ICE SKATERS; SINGLE LEG DEADLIFT; SPLIT STANCE DUMBBELL CHOP
1. CURTSY LUNGE + DUMBBELL PRESS (Quads, Glutes, Triceps and Shoulders). Start with a dumbbell in your right hand with your elbow flexed and the dumbbell at shoulder height. With your right leg, step behind your left leg and bring your right knee towards the floor. Stand back up by using primarily your left leg and at the same time press the dumbbell overhead. Return to the starting position and repeat.
2. V-SIT-UPS (Core). Start by lying face up on the floor with your arms and legs fully extended. Simultaneously bring your feet and shoulder blades up off the floor. Touch hands and feet at the top of move.
3. SPLIT STANCE DUMBELL CHOP (Core, Back and Shoulders). Stand with your left foot in front and your right foot behind you. Holding a small dumbbell from the sides, swing the dumbbell from just outside of your right hip to just above your left shoulder. Return to the beginning position and repeat. You can rotate your torso or not – either way is fine.
4. SINGLE LEG DEADLIFT + DUMBBELL ROW (Core, Glutes, Hamstrings, Back and Biceps). Stand with the dumbbell in your right hand. While keeping your back flat (neutral), lift your right leg off the ground and reach the dumbbell towards the floor, stopping the dumbbell at your knees. Once the dumbbell reaches your knees, pause and row the dumbbell up towards your torso. Stand up tall by contracting the your glutes and hamstrings on the balance leg and return to the starting position.
5. ICE SKATERS (Legs and Cardio). Stand balancing on your left leg. Take a big hop to your right and switch to balancing on your right leg. Pause and stabilize, then hop back to your left. Repeat.
DAY 3: THE BAND
CLOCKWISE TOP LEFT: BAND ROW; BAND REVERSE LUNGES; BAND PULL APART; SUPERMAN; BAND PRESS EXTEND; BAND PRESS RETRACT
1. BAND ROW. Place the band on the floor and stand with one foot in the middle of the band. Grab both sides of the band (one in each hand). With the leg not standing on the band, take a big step back. While bending forward, flex your elbows and pull the bands towards your torso.
2. BAND REVERSE LUNGES. Place the band on the floor and stand with one foot in the middle of the band as above. Grab both sides of the band (one in each hand), pull the band tight by flexing your biceps. With the leg not standing on the band, take a big step back into a reverse lunge, while continuing to keep resistance on the band.
3. BAND PRESSES. Kneel on the floor with the right leg extended back. Place the band around the upper back and grab with each hand in front. Extend arms straight out in front. Switch legs on second set.
4. BAND PULL APART. Using both hands, hold the band out in front of you with your arms fully extended. While keeping your arms straight pull the band apart to work your back and shoulders. Hold your arms out for 2-3 seconds before returning to the original position.
5. SUPERMAN/SUPERWOMAN PLANKS. Start in a full plank (also known as the top of a pushup). Slowly walk your hand forward two paces and hold for 3 counts. Walk hands back and repeat.
Want more Spring Training? CLICK HERE for the hot new gear!